Newsletter: What is XYLITOL and can it benefit my teeth?
Scheduling Periodic Check-ups
We like to think that our patients will be faithful about scheduling recall appointments (periodic check-ups), but sometimes it is difficult to find time in everyone’s busy schedule to set that date. We recommend that you schedule your next hygiene appointment before you leave our office. Bring your calendar to your dental visit and we can work with you to find a day and time that fits well with your schedule as well as ours. And don’ worry, we will be in touch with a reminder several weeks as well as again several days before your appointment. We look forward to seeing you!
How much is too much toothpaste?
When you see the commercials or pictures of toothbrushes with a wide splash of toothpaste – that is too much toothpaste! Almost 4 times the amount of toothpaste you need. Too much toothpaste and vigorous motion in brushing can add to recession and also cause sensitivity. It is not the toothpaste that removes the plaque, it is the mechanical action of the toothbrush bristles. We recommend an electric toothbrush such as Sonicare (but a manual works well too), and a pea size amount of toothpaste. Of course floss, and use a tongue scraper on a regular basis to remove a buildup of bacterial growth on the tongue.
And you thought dental floss was just for flossing?
We recommend that you use dental floss daily in your dental care regime, but there are also other uses for this strong string:
- Unstick a photograph. Slide a length of dental floss under the corner of a photo that is stuck to an album page.
- Save a necklace. Rescue a busted strand by threading the beads onto floss for a quick fix.
- Hang a painting. To hang lightweight artwork that is not in a heavy frame with glass, use floss in place of picture wire.
- String popcorn. A perfect holiday decoration.
- Cut a cheesecake. Use unwaxed, unflavored floss to slice any soft layer cakes or homemade cinnamon buns from a roll.
- Mend clothing or sew on a button. Even repair your tent!
But remember, the best use is in your mouth!!